Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Talk Like a Pirate Day


Blow me down! It's "Talk Like a Pirate Day!" ARRRGHHHHH! It snuck up on me! Captain Buzzard Jack LaBuse, herrrre!


In honor of me earlier adventure with those scurrvy dogs, Cynthia and Gus in Curse of the Bayou, I'm invitin' all ye mateys to send in yer favorite pirate phrases. I'll be a postin' on me blog. Savvy?

And, just in case you're not sure how to "Talk Like a Pirate," here are some key words ye be a'wantin' ta remember.

Ahoy! - "Yo!"
Avast! - "Check it out!"
Aye! - "Yes."
Arrr! - "That's right!" (often confused with arrrgh...)
Arrrgh! - "I'm VERY miffed."


If ye want t' visit the "official site," here 'tis.


Talk Like a Pirate Day

So, weigh anchor. Hoist the mizzen. It's a terrrrrific day!

3 comments:

Word said...

Ya Scallywag!

I'd walk the plank t' read yer book!

Mary Cunningham said...

Shiver me timbers, Word! Me likes the way ye think!

Mary Cunningham said...

I be postin' a message from a scalawag by the name of Potnpanman. I'm wonderin' if he might be related to Capt. Percy Potnpanman, the nastiest plunderer in the Caribbean. Me gold was swiped more n' once by old Percy.

I won't be holdin' that agin' his kin, tho. He give ol' Buzzard Jack a history lesson and was askin' some questions I thought some of you buccaneers might like answerin'.

From Potnpanman:

First, I would like some things cleared up. In proper Pirate Speech, does one express the plural of laddybuck as laddiesbuck or as laddybucks? I have also been concerned about usage of correct gender forms. Is a female crew member referred to as lassiebuck? Perhaps she would be called a laddybuckette?

Is the expression, "Arrrrrr", merely a piratized form or "Aye"? Consider the following conversation overheard in a small establishment in Tortuga.

"Arrrrrr, there be gold an' more in that buried chest!" said pirate #1.
"Arrrrrr!" said pirate #2.
"Arrrrrr!" said pirate #3.
"Arrrrrr!" said pirate #4.
"Arrrrrr!" said pirate #5.
"Most assuredly!" said pirate #6.

Are we to assume, from this conversation, that arrrrrr is indeed an affirmative... or is it just that pirate #6 is the only one who didn't partake of the dubious chili served in One-Eyed Morgan's Tavern?