Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Dog Named Slugger in Cynthia's Attic!

This touching "memoir will warm the hearts of dog lovers everywhere; Slugger is the heart and soul of the book, and his dedication, devotion, and love make him an unforgettable character. . . . will appeal equally to readers interested in coping or helping others cope with disabilities. . . This stirring, inspirational story will appeal to teen dog lovers, too.”

~ Booklist


A Dog Named Slugger from John Carlin on Vimeo.

From the Publisher of A Dog Named Slugger:

“This is the true story of author Leigh Brill and her trained service dog, Slugger. With Slugger's help, Brill, though struggling with cerebral palsy, was able to complete college and earn a masters degree. Now a counselor and motivational speaker, Brill tells how Slugger's help and friendship changed her life.”

Leigh Brill Bio:

I was born in North Carolina and raised in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. Growing up amid the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains, I developed a love of nature along with a passion for writing. I left the valley in 1988 to study at Roanoke College. In spite of the challenges posed by my congenital cerebral palsy, I graduated with honors.

With my first service dog, Slugger, by my side, I went on to obtain a Master’s degree in Counseling from James Madison University. I worked for several years as a therapist in community agencies and then for Ronald McDonald House Charities before deciding to embrace my writing career in earnest.

Now in the company of both my second service dog Kenda, and her working successor, Pato I am writing my next book; Miranda and Charlie and the Great Cupcake Caper is the first in a series of fictional juvenile stories featuring an energetic kid-detective and her service dog.



My thoughts:

I have to admit to knowing very little about the training and duties of service dogs, but after reading  A Dog Named Slugger, I've received a valued education on the trials of those who rely on the performance of these wonderful animals.

From the author's, sometimes, heartbreaking childhood, to the discovery that she could find true companionship and independence with Slugger by her side, this book captures every emotion.

I was heartened to read that, although these dogs maintain a "working relationship" with their partners, they are also allowed to have fun and just be dogs. The sock game that Brill and Slugger played is a perfect example.

I look forward to reading Leigh Brill's new juvenile series, beginning with Miranda and Charlie and the Great Cupcake Caper.

Mary Cunningham Books Website

Buy Cynthia's Attic Series on Amazon

No comments: