Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Friendship in Cynthia's Attic


Cynthia had an attic. Not just an ordinary attic. Cynthia's attic was magic.

Cynthia and I came into the world just three months apart. We grew up on the same quiet, sycamore-lined street, our friendship as close as our houses. Fifty years earlier, our grandmothers were best friends. However, we didn't realize the extent of their friendship until after our experience in Cynthia's attic. This is the story of one of our great adventures...the way I remember it.

Cynthia and I spent day after day playing in her attic, but, little did I know how much her friendship would mean decades later. We went all through school together, played with the neighborhood kids, and in high school, had slumber parties and double-dated. After graduation, we lost touch when she left for nursing school; a dream of hers from the time she could talk. Meanwhile, I got married, had a son and moved about 500 times. (Okay, maybe not that many, but a ‘nomadic’ feelings prevailed when the 9th moving van pulled up to the house!)

But, before you start feeling sorry for me, the last move has been the most rewarding because it brought me within an hour of Cynthia’s home for more than 15 years. We’d barely unpacked when I called to arrange dinner plans. I felt sorry for our husbands because Cynthia and I didn't shut up for four hours! It's like we were six-years-old again, still sitting on the floor of her attic playing with paper dolls and discovering magical treasures.

Some friends drift away and although you miss them, your life doesn't feel much different without their presence, but, Cynthia and I took up right where we left off all those years ago. I didn't realize how much I missed her until we came back into each other's lives. On a recent road trip together, we covered almost sixty years of fun, friends and family.

This brings me to one reason the series, "Cynthia's Attic," has been so satisfying to write. I've had the fun of chronicling the friendship between Cynthia and Gus (I'm point-of-view character, Gus) and honoring my lifelong friendship with Cynthia.

"This wonderfully imaginative tale will delight readers. I wish I had a magic attic!" - Laura Schaefer, author of The Teashop Girls.

…”a good old fashioned family story, with all the sci-fi perks and jigs to light the imagination of today’s young reader.”- Real Reader Reviews

Mary Cunningham Books

Amazon

No comments: