Monday, July 8, 2013

Thoughts About Life, The Church Lady, Takoda, Chris Eldin


I first "met" Chris on the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators boards and had an instant connection to her creative, thoughtful critiques. Oh, and her wit! That wonderfully sharp, laugh-out-loud sense of humor. I remember being a little anxious when she suggested I join her, and several others, in a critique group, but the thought of gleaning energy and ideas from the writer with the sparkling personality, won out.

I spent three wonderful years growing as a writer and human being, along with having the privilege of reading and critiquing writings by Chris, Dee, Nita, Shona, and Laurel. All under the guidance of  Takoda and The Church Lady, her online personas.
I received unexpected "fun" packages from her part time home, Dubai, on more than one occasion, and looked forward to her Dubai Chronicle postings. She even arranged a baby shower package that circulated among our critique group until reaching its final destination in the hands of the new mom.

Her generosity and kindness towards writers, and everyone in general, knew no bounds. She seemed happy and filled with excitement and promise. Until she wasn't.
I began to suspect her life was taking a dangerous downhill plunge. The spark and energy I'd come to know, love and expect, were absent from her e-mails and communications. Not long after, she cut all ties, only to resurface on rare occasions. Her fears won out on August 9, 2012, when she took her own life.  

I've missed you these past two years, Chris, and I struggle with exactly why. Someone remarked that it's not like I'd ever met you, and I hadn't…not in person although we often talked about meeting somewhere, sometime. You're simply one of those rare spirits that barges into one's life and never leaves.

Your light and energy will always be with me when I think back to Magic Game Board, or Fat Chance, and your, oftentimes, gross descriptions I'm sure emanated straight from Thing One and Thing Two, the loves of your life. You made me laugh, and go Ewww, at the same time.

Rest well, my friend.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Mary, thank you.

Margo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margo said...

Thanks so for your blog post! I am really missing my friend Chris, mourning her passing to be exact. It has been two years since she died, and I am struggling with the torment she was going through. I am so glad she had friends and mentors who were able to appreciate and encourage her many talents. Thanks! Margo