Wednesday, October 1, 2008

MEME! 6 Book Things About Me!



My childhood best friend, Cynthia and me, cruising down the Ohio River

Chris, at Candid Canine, tagged me with Today's Meme:

Name 6 Book Things About Yourself:

So, here goes:

1. My series, Cynthia's Attic was inspired by a recurring dream I'd had for over 20 years about a mysterious attic! Once determined that the attic was in the home of my childhood best friend, Cynthia, the dreams stopped! Fortunately, the writing began!

2. I was also inspired by wanting to write stories about my ancestors. I so regret not talking more to my grandparents and finding out about their early years; What they did for fun; who was their best friend; stories about their parents and grandparents. So, I decided to write time-travel books that would let me go back in time and have adventures with my relatives.

3. My hometown library was within walking distance, just a couple of block from my house. My all-time favorite "reads" as a kid were sports biographies. A devoured the complete set from Hank Aaron to Babe Didrikson Zaharias.

4. Speaking of my hometown library...I have the honor of doing my first booksigning there on Nov. 22! Should be a lot of fun. I hope I get to see friends that I haven't seen for 20 + Years!

5. I'm busily writing Book Four in my series: Cynthia's Attic: The Magician's Castle. I think this is going to be the best one, but I thought that about the last one, Curse of the Bayou, too. :-)

6. I'm also working on two adult mystery books. Some writers don't like to go back and forth between genres, but I find it a refreshing (and much-needed!) change.

** Your Turn: Share some book-related things about you. Be sure to comment here so we know to go visit your blog and see what you wrote.

Tag! You're It! Leave a comment that you've posted your 6 book things so we'll know to check them out!

Shannon Greenland
Janet Muirhead Hill
Anne Carter

6 comments:

CA Verstraete said...

How fun! I love the old photo. I wish my grandparents had been alive when I grew up. Families are lucky to have access to their own history.

Mary Cunningham said...

I was also lucky to have a cousin who did extensive genealogy research. She was able to trace one side of the family back to the late 1300s!

I would LOVE to jump in a time machine and go back so I could talk to my ancestors.

Pam Ripling said...

Oops! I forgot to come back and leave a comment! Okay, I did my 6 lame things.

Mary, I feel the same. I had a grandmother who was half Cherokee, born in New Mexico in 1895. She died before I was born, but my dad told me lots of tales and I would have loved to have known her.

Mayra Calvani said...

I find so strange how you kept having those dreams again and again. The source of creativity can be very mysterious. A couple of years ago, I woke up in the middl eof the night and 'heard a voice' say: You should write a book about how to write book reviews... and that's how I got the idea for The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing!

Mary Cunningham said...

Just proves that you should always listen to and write down your dreams.

Good luck with the new book, Mayra.

Janet Muirhead Hill said...

Hi Mary,
Somehow I missed your meme blogpost. I enjoyed reading your six book things, so I will post 6 book things about me in a few days. I just published a post on another subject today. see it at http://www.janetmuirheadhill.blogspot.com

Best,
Janet