Saturday, June 19, 2010

My Dad

This is one of my favorite pictures of my dad. I'm not sure why because he looks very uncertain about posing for this picture. Maybe it's because, in later years, he'd be much more comfortable behind the camera, writing for a large, city newspaper.

Paul Bulleit was the middle child of three brothers. They were born pretty close to one year apart. Maybe because he was the middle child, it became his duty to leave Hanover College in the early thirties, and his dream of playing college football, to help support the family during the depression. His two brothers went on to graduate. Dad went on to a career as a newspaper reporter.

He never complained about the 12-14-hour days (including the commute to and from Louisville, KY), and seemed to thrive during his days on the court beat, the medical beat, and finally, his own column in the Courier Journal. He was especially fond of his yearly "duty" covering Millionaires Row at the Kentucky Derby.

My dad's been gone for over 25 years. He was an amazing writer and is 75% responsible for my writing career. My English teacher, Mrs. Elam gets the other 25%. I just wish I'd shown more appreciation for his craft because I know, now, just how hard it is.

As proof, this is a picture of my dad in the Courier newsroom in the early 60's - hard at work.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!


Beverly Stowe McClure said...

A lovely tribute to your father. Precious pictures. Thanks for sharing your memories.


Janet Muirhead Hill said...

Nice to hear about your dad. Sounds like a wonderful role model. No wonder you're such a good writer.

Mary Cunningham said...

Thanks, so much, Janet. :>)

Chris Eldin said...

What a beautiful post.

I love that photo. The cola bottle, telephone, typewriter... so many details about a time gone by.

Thanks for sharing this slice of your life.

Mary Cunningham said...

Thanks, Chris. The pic is kinda like a time capsule, isn't it! xo